WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (January 5, 2022) – Seniors Meghan Douglas and Allie Moss just about every hit a pair of free throws in the last moment to lead the Stevens Institute of Technologies women’s basketball staff to a 59-51 victory over King’s College or university Wednesday night time in a MAC Freedom matchup at McGrane Gymnasium.
Senior Jess Wide turned in her fifth double-double of the year with 11 details and 10 boards for the Ducks, who received their 2nd straight to transfer to 9-2 on the calendar year and to 3-1 in meeting participate in.
Emily Kriston had 17 factors and seven rebounds to guide King’s, who fell to 8-5 on the 12 months and to 2-2 in league motion. The setback snapped the Monarchs’ two-video game successful streak. Stevens has gained each individual of the previous two conferences involving the groups.
A sturdy defensive effort and hard work allowed Stevens to hold King’s extra than 20 points under its period ordinary and to just a single stage over the closing 6:58 as the Ducks used a 14-1 run to near out the victory.
In their initial sport because Dec. 11, the Ducks opened sturdy, connecting on 3 of their initial 4 shots to consider an early guide. Stevens shot 2 for 3 from at the rear of the arc and more than 50% from the floor in the opening quarter in constructing a 19-15 direct.
King’s was ready to get handle of the game in the second quarter, producing 6 for 8 free of charge throws in the time period to just take a trim three-position guide at halftime. Even though the Ducks committed five fouls in the frame, which led to the Monarchs earning eight tries from the line, the Ducks put together for just 5 fouls in the second half, resulting in only two absolutely free throws for the residence workforce around the closing two periods.
As the Ducks clamped down on King’s, Moss took more than in the 2nd 50 percent, netting 12 of her period- and activity-significant 18 details over the remaining 20 minutes. The Raleigh, North Carolina native finished 6 for 11 from the ground, including 3 for 5 from at the rear of the arc, even though also building three of her 4 attempts from the line. She carries on to guide the league in free of charge-throw capturing (90%), when also ranking amongst the countrywide leaders (ninth in Division III coming into tonight’s recreation).
Down two at the start off of the final period of time, the Ducks held King’s to just three discipline aims in the fourth quarter, including none from long length. Stevens also compelled six turnovers in the interval, while not allowing an offensive rebound, to safe the victory.
- With just above a minute to engage in and Stevens holding a 3-issue gain, first-12 months Lucy Alberici performed potent a single-on-a person defense on King’s Sarah Heiskell-Mann, forcing the 6-foot forward into an uncomfortable layup try.
- The Hazlet, New Jersey indigenous then gained the fight for the ensuing rebound to give the Ducks a probability to near out the contest.
Inside of the Figures
- Stevens outshot King’s 38.3% to 35.8. The Ducks held the Monarchs to just 25% shooting from the floor in each the 2nd and fourth quarters.
- Stevens received the struggle of the boards 40-33 for the second straight activity. Broad’s 10 rebounds led all gamers.
- The Ducks held a 9-4 edge on the offensive glass, which led to a 6-2 advantage in next-likelihood points.
- Stevens scored nine points off 17 King’s turnovers.
- Each of the Ducks last seven factors arrived at the line.
- The Ducks obtained 14 factors off the bench, even though King’s received just 4.
- Broad blocked a game-large 3 photographs and ranks 2nd in the conference with 1.9 rejections for each game. The Marlboro New Jersey native’s 11 points moved the senior to 908 career factors.
- The groups led for almost the precise identical total of time. Stevens led for 4:10, whilst King’s was in front for 4:09.
- Sophomore Elissa Nsenkyire scored five straight details about a crucial 40-next extend in the fourth quarter, together with a extensive 3-pointer, as the Ducks drew even with King’s at 50.
From the Sidelines – Assistant Mentor Jill Conroy
- “Soon after a extended crack, it was excellent to get back again on the court and occur away with a win. We have been capable to shut out some plays down the stretch and knocked down some important absolutely free throws at the stop.”
- Women’s Basketball returns to the courtroom on Jan. 8 for a MAC Liberty tilt with Misericordia in Canavan Arena.
- The Cougars have gained all three prior meetings in between the teams.
- Stay stats and video back links are out there on StevensDucks.com.
Fb: “Like” Stevens Athletics